Comments: Screen Resolutions and Aspect Ratios Worldwide 27 November, 2007 — Stuart Brown

< Back to 'Screen Resolutions and Aspect Ratios Worldwide'

Pete wrote:

I think you just went of the geek scale :)

I'll join you there though as I found this to be extremely interesting reading.
It is particulary interesting to consider that the region with the lowest average resolution is still a touch over 1024x768.
What was the size of your data pool for working out these stats?

Stuart wrote:

@Pete - you missed the methodology? :) It's data from my own stats (so expect a strong bias towards tech and design - and an elevation in average resolution), running from May 2006 to November 2007 (i.e. now) - 18 months of data, covering about 1.1 million visits.

Pete wrote:

Ah yes. I realised that you already said that after I posted my comment :)
In my defence I was skim reading while meant to be working on a dull form.

Jaffer wrote:

Hi Stuart !
Love your blog ! Been a long time reader too !

Couldn't happen to notice why you've slowed down drastically in the past few months !

Best Regards !

Stuart wrote:

@Jaffer - Been busy and short on ideas for content, so I took a couple of months sabbatical to refresh and to come up with new ideas for posts :)

Vyoma wrote:

Ah - finally you are back from your 'sabbatical'.

This was an interesting study and definitely helps in deciding the screen resolution to aim for when designing webpages. :)

Adam Darowski wrote:

Oh, man... I missed these gorgeous charts. Welcome back, Stuart. :)

Md Mudassir Alam wrote:

A Well researched piece, i liked it and also get valuable information about sreen resolutions worldwide. Well done, good job man

Jakob S wrote:

Interesting and well analyzed findings, thumbs up. Their usefulness in deciding anything in regards to web design, however, is debatable.

The screen resolution might give a nice upper boundary for how big a browser can grow, but the reality is that the browser window can be - and often is - smaller than all available screen real estate. And the content viewport area, which is really what we should be designing for, is even smaller than the browser window.

See http://www.baekdal.com/reports/actual-browser-sizes/ and http://mentalized.net/journal/2006/10/24/browser_size_does_matter_actual_numbers/ for more information and references.

Stuart wrote:

@Jakob - I'd agree screen resolution isn't a great measure for design - my native screen res is 2560x1600, and I wouldn't dream of running a maximised window. At the lower end - 800x600, 1024x768 etc, it's probably more of a consideration.

Whilst there's no concrete link between actual browser size and screen size, it's likely there'll be some correlation. I just wish we could all produce 100% fluid, 100% scalable designs :-)

Jakob S wrote:

I just wish I could design those :P

Stuart wrote:

Damn technology. I'm blaming IE and the lack of decent SVG support.

Adam Griffiths wrote:

IE is definitely a pile of 'what you should be sticking in the bin' :-P

Its nice to see an insight of screen resolutions for other visitors of ML. I'm running 1680x1050px and always have all windows maximized...so I can concentrate on the website instead of being distracted by my pretty desktop picture.

< Back to 'Screen Resolutions and Aspect Ratios Worldwide'