Comments: Modern Life: The Podcast? 30 July, 2007 — Stuart Brown

< Back to 'Modern Life: The Podcast?'

Adam Griffiths wrote:

It seems like a good idea. A podcast isn't really 30 minutes of talking about one subject, its loads of little points etc arranged into one file. This would be a good idea if the podcasts were regular. The idea of interviews would be excellent so long as the subject is based around the web. Maybe even a "howto" or a chat about maintaining a website would be good ideas. Overall, a podcats on ModernLife would be interesting to say the least.

Stuart Brown wrote:

The 'howto' aspect intrigues me - I might do some screencasts in the near future. Still undecided on the topic, though!

heri wrote:

I listen to the boagworld podcast. As they say it's a "podcast for people involved in web design and web development". great show. it's a duo and the topics are quite diversified. I learn a lot too. so you might get some inspiration from there.

Des Traynor wrote:

As someone who has been reading this site from the start, I'd like to know where you came from :)
As in how did you get started in this area, what made you start MLIR, what was your first big hit, all that stuff.

But even if its a show about gerbils I'd say it'd still be interesting

Andras wrote:

Would be great to hear Your opinion about whether you can make a living blogging without advertising? :)

Arjun Muralidharan wrote:

I think if you're going to do a podcast, make it a round-table. You already have your blog, which is your own, research-filled, entertaining round-up we all love.

A podcast would be a great place for discussion, as we can quickly change speakers and interact much more.

Think not?

Barry Bloye wrote:

Compression, compression, compression!

Dunno how versed you are in recording technique, but it's vital to get good levels in your audio. Do a soundcheck and set the initial input level as high as you can without it clipping, and then turn it down another notch to leave some extra headroom -- you'll inevitably get louder as you get more in to the discussion!

After you've finished recording, use a compressor plug-in to smooth out the peaks in your recording, and this will in turn let you raise the overall level.

I've found quite a few podcasts unlistenable because they've been quiet recordings punctuated with sudden peaks, which some liberal compression could have fixed -- doesn't make for comfortable iPod listening on the bus.

Stuart Brown wrote:

@Barry - Have no fears, I'm a closet audiophile with a penchant for the odd spot of production (although I'm out of practice...), so I should be OK on the production front.

@Arjun - I'd love to take a round-table style approach, but the logistics of it mean it might be on the difficult side. I'm working on some ideas, so I'll see what can be done.

Stuart wrote:

I also listen to the Boagworld.com podcast. The dialogue between the two presenters (Paul and Marcus) makes that one good to listen to.

Matt Newboult wrote:

Shouldn't you get the idea for the podcast first and then think about the microphone? P.S. How do you get a picture when posting comments?

Matt Newboult wrote:

.net magazine do a good podcast, also hosted by Paul Boag (he gets around). It's part monologue, part round-table discussion. I think it works well with the people they get involved in the discussion. Personally I find podcast monologues rather dull unless the presenter is very, very good. This is especially true of web dev podcasts, where the material is better dealt with through discussion anyway.

Stuart Brown wrote:

@Matt - I had a rough idea for the podcast first, with a general notion of topic & sensibility - bear with me while I work out the details!

I'm thinking a presentational style may work - I'll perhaps sync audio to video / graphics - less of a podcast/radio style production, and more of a presentation. I'll experiment, see what works :-)

Matt Newboult wrote:

What subject areas would you like to cover? I think a good UK vodcast (to pinch a phrase from Mark Kermode's film review podcast) is much needed. I'd be interested to know what you'd like to tackle? Prepared to lend a hand doing a techy 'how-to' or two. Have iMovie, Garageband and a Samson USB Condenser mic at the ready.

Imar wrote:

Hi Stuart. Podcasting could be a good idea. Maybe I'm ignorant, but I just don't know how rewarding it would be for you - what would you get out of it other than satisfaction, maybe? Anyway, as a suggestion for podcast content I think you should stick to your recipe of explaining technical things in a simple way - like you do in your blog. For example: Interpreting stats, Copyright laws - how do they affect blogging? Are internet laws global or country-specific? Tips on hosting. How to use tools like Feedburner. Ethics. Stuff like that...

Imar wrote:

Oh, and Des is right, tell a little about yourself, that's always more entertaining.

< Back to 'Modern Life: The Podcast?'